Essential oil diffuser – what are they and how do they work?
Essential oil diffusers are excellent sleep tools to get beneficial essential oils into the air, where their effects can be felt. They have long been used in aromatherapy treatments as they help to cleanse the air and promote soothing feelings in the environment. Although they are usually used for aesthetic or therapeutic purposes, they also boast some amazing health benefits.
Some people use essential oils topically; others use them internally or inhale them. With essential oil diffusers, you get to control what oils are dispersed in the air, for how long, and in what concentration. People who want to take a more active role in their own health, and prefer natural, proven methods with only a few side effects, purchasing an essential oil diffuser is an excellent choice.
Essential oil diffuser – Reasons why you should use an essential oil diffuser
Using an essential oil diffuser allows you to access all the benefits of essential oils, unlike heating oil in candle and wax warmers. In fact, applying heat to essential oils can actually denature many of the most important chemicals and compounds, so you are essentially just diffusing the oil for scent, and not for the more beneficial aspects.
Therefore, you should always use a diffuser that doesn’t rely on heat to push out the scent. Heat diffusers often rely on heat and are not as effective as fan diffuser, nebulizing diffusers, evaporative diffusers, and ultrasonic diffusers.
The last 2 varieties can deliver a consistent mist of essential oils to a space that can leave you relaxed, uplifted, confident, energized, creative, and motivated, among others, depending on the type of oil you use.
Essential oil diffuser – the benefits of essential oils
Let’s talk about the benefits of essential oils below:
- Promotes good sleep – a number of essential oils can promote neurotransmitter activity in your brain and stimulate a release of the hormones, serotonin, and dopamine, leading to restful, uninterrupted sleep. To promote good sleep use bergamot, sandalwood, and lavender.
- Improves respiratory system – Inhaling essential oils can improve inflammation in the respiratory tracts, boost the immune system, and help eliminate flu and cough. Use oils like lemon, Palo Santo, lavender, tea tree, and eucalyptus.
- Eliminate odor – a home or a room that smells musty, stale, or smoky can easily be remedied by oil diffuser, use oils such as orange, grapefruit, bergamot, or lemongrass
- Elevates mood – Essential oils have the power to elevate mood, eliminates depression, anxiety, and sadness. You can also set a romantic dinner date by turning on the diffuser and let the air of romance spread everywhere. Bergamot and lavender can work wonders for this.
- Boost memory and concentration – You can improve memory, cognitive function, and focus on diffusing oils like rosemary, basil, spearmint, lemongrass, and tangerine.
Essential oil diffuser – now let’s talk about the different types of oil diffuser
Depending on what type of essential oil diffuser you choose, they might work in different ways. As mentioned above, there are 5 main types of essential oil diffusers, each with their own pros and cons, depending on how and where you wish to use them, as well as the effects that you hope to achieve.
- Heat diffuser – heat diffusers the essential oil causing it to evaporate, releasing the aroma of the oil into the air. While this can give a pleasant smell to the house, this isn’t the ideal choice if you want the therapeutic effects from your essential oils. The heat diffuser will be denatured and neutralize the oils when heated, so there is really no health benefit delivered.
- Fan diffuser – a fan diffuser does not rely on heat, but rather moves air across a wick or absorbent surface that contains the essential oil. This moving air will breathable molecules into the environment, so therapeutic effects can be transferred but the area of effect will be relatively small. Fan diffusers are great for bathrooms, cars, or a small bedroom. However, less effective in larger spaces.
- Evaporative diffuser – in a similar way evaporated diffusers allow the essential oil to be exposed to the air, and thus slowly evaporate. The size of the molecules can be inhaled for therapeutic effects, but again this will only work in a relatively small or confined space.
- Nebulizing Diffuser – this type of diffuser is the best option for essential oils, nebulizing diffusers use cold, pressurized air to force essential oil molecules into an atomizer. This breaks the molecules into extremely fine particles that are pumped out into the air, where they hand suspended for hours, rather than settling to the floor as with other diffusers. These ultra-fine particles can be inhaled; they will cleanse the room of other toxic particles, or land on your body to be absorbed by the skin. These diffusers tend to be more expensive, but are also praised as the most effective.
- Ultrasonic diffuser – this type of essential oil diffuser creates small vibrations within a combination of water and essential oil, which causes a fine mist to be released into the air, where it can be inhaled and improve the aroma of a room. While the area of coverage of ultrasonic diffusers can be relatively large, by combining the essential oils with water, some of the therapeutic benefits are compromised. This is generally considered the second-best option after the nebulizing diffuser.
Essential oil diffuser – best essential oils to use
Here is a list of the top 5 popular essential oils for relaxation and for sleep
Lavender – is the most popular essential oil not only for relaxation but to induce sleep for those suffering insomnia and other sleep-related problems. Lavender is a soothing scent that is long been associated with relaxation and sleep and used as a natural remedy for anxiety. Lavender is probably the most rigorously studied essential oil. Robust research shows that lavender has been fighting anxiety, depression, and sleep problems for years. A recent study also showed that aromatherapy using lavender oil reduced the need for pain medications in a group of 6 to 12-year-old children recovering from having their tonsils removed. Lavender also has a sedative effect, meaning it can work directly to help you fall asleep faster.
Vanilla – the sweet scent of vanilla is appealing to many people, and it has a long history of use for relaxation and stress relief. Vanilla can have sedative effects on the body; it can reduce hyperactivity and restlessness, quiet the nervous system, and lower blood pressure.
Rose and Geranium – these 2 essential oils have similar floral scents, and both have been shown to reduce stress and anxiety, on their own and in combination with other essential oils. Some sleep experts recommend valerian essential oil for sleep aromatherapy.
Valerian essential oil – although valerian is known to be in a tea form, from valerian root, there are essential oils with valerian root. Valerian root is mostly popular to induce sleep in a form of tea and now also essential oil. The smell of valerian is highly stinky and therefore it is not diffused on its own but rather mixed with other essential oil such as rose, or lavender.
Jasmine – is a sweet floral scent and appears to have serious sleep-promoting capabilities. Research shows jasmine improves sleep quality and cuts down on restless sleeping, as well as an increase in daytime alertness. Jasmine also comes in tea, which can also be used for sleep remedies.
Essential oil diffuser – the best diffusers in 2019
Review of the different essential oil diffusers on the market.
Essential oil diffuser #1
Essential oil diffuser #2
Organic Aromas Raindrop
Essential oil diffuser #3
Essential oil diffuser #4
Stadler Form Jasmine
Essential oil diffuser #5
SpaRoom Pure Mist
Essential oil diffusers can be found online, check out the online market for different choices, keep in mind the guidelines in choosing essential oil diffuser mentioned above. You want to get the most out of your oil diffuser, check out the reviews on each on them, as well as the price. Try to compare different oil diffusers before deciding on one. Below are the lists of oil diffusers that can be purchased from Amazon.
And we have also added different essential oils to choose from.