Sleep Apnea – A sleep disorder that needs medical attention
Sleep apnea is surprisingly a sleep disorder that is slowly but surely making its presence felt. It is a type of sleep apnea that is not only a disruption to the natural sleep cycle, but when left unchecked can actually be fatal to the person afflicted. It is not unheard of that person with sleep apnea can die in their sleep. Another shocking sleep apnea data to take note of is that about 18 million Americans have this disorder, however, only 20 percent have been diagnosed.
What is sleep apnea?
This type of sleeping disorder is basically characterized by a person’s irregular breathing while asleep. Other telltale signs that one has sleep apnea as a condition would include sleepiness during day time, very loud snoring as well as restless sleep.
Sleep Apnea – two different types
There are two basic types of sleep apnea that a person may be diagnosed with.
Obstructive sleep apnea or otherwise known as (OSA)
This is the most common of the two types. It is the one which is caused by a blockage in the airway. The obstruction on the airway is caused by the soft tissue at the back of the throat collapsing while the person is asleep. Hence, the excessively loud snoring produced as a result thereof.
Problem with respiratory system control.
The distinction between this type and that of the OSA is that it is not caused by a blockage. In the second type, it is the brain that fails to give the signal to breathe. This dilemma is due to an apparent problem with the respiratory system control.
What are the effects of sleep apnea?
If left untreated people with this condition can experience:
- High blood pressure
- Heart failure, irregular heart beats, and heart attacks
- Adverse effect on ADHD (another condition a person may also have at the same time)
Sleep apnea – How to Treat Sleep Apnea?
As problematic as this condition may seem, the good news is that there are treatments available to those that are diagnosed. Here are some suggested things to do:
- Start by seeing a doctor– taking things for granted or speculating on the problem can only cause a delay. If you suspect yourself or a loved of having sleep apnea, then the best help you can give them would be to have them check. As it can be noted there are different types as well as causes for this condition. Going for a check-up allows one to have a better handle on the way to combat the problem.
- CPAP therapy– this a treatment that involves the motion of pushing air through a mask the person with sleep apnea is to wear as he/she sleeps.
Sleep apnea aids – The Bestseller on Amazon for CPAP therapy is
- Lifestyle change– this may sound cliché, but much of the unhealthy things a person engage can actually aggravate the condition. If one is serious about treating the problem, then the following are to be avoided:
- Side sleeping
Sleep Apnea is a condition that poses real danger and threat.
Sleep apnea is a problem, but it is not something that is without a solution. It is a condition that poses real danger and threat to one’s life, hence the need for vigilance and care. Have yourself diagnosed so that you can receive the proper treatment.
Sleep apnea aids The cheap snoring solution for only around 15$ on you can get the Snorepin