Sleep hygiene on the onset would refer to the norms or practices a person may have to ensure good health and well-being, read more on this here.
What is sleep hygiene?
Sleep is an important reality that one needs to address if a good night rest is a target.
It goes without saying then that sleep hygiene connotes one’s practices and habits that impact the quality and length of sleep experienced. Different people would surely have different things or rituals they do and believe as necessary before they sleep, learn more about it here.
Why is sleep hygiene important?
A fact that has to be known and understood on the onset is that proper sleep hygiene does not only ensure a good sleep but also stable mental alertness as you awake. Care for it then means prioritizing both physical and mental and this is true to everyone regardless of age or sex. Productivity in studies and work rely much on how an individual safeguards his/her physical and mental well-being. In other words, if you find good health, productivity, and alertness (both in mind and body) important, then sleep hygiene is a topic that should not be ignored.
Factors to Consider in a Good Sleep Hygiene:
Sleep hygiene as it was earlier explained, sleep habits are basically all your rituals, habits and practices before you retire all rolled put together. A question then that may be interesting in this situation would be on how it can be made better and therefore improve one’s health and well-being along the way.
Sleep Hygiene tips below;
Do not over do your naps
- . Naps are generally good and advisable. But just like with everything else, too much of it can cause more harm than good. A nap of 20 to 30 minutes a day is fine as it helps promote alertness but going beyond it and having it too often can just ruin your regular sleeping schedule.
Stay away from stimulants.
- The name itself can already give you an idea on the effect stimulants, like caffeine would have on your body. Be mindful and observant of the effects of these substances on you and the length of time it takes before they wear off. To have a data on these things should guide on what you should and should not intake at certain times of the night if you do not want to have a hard time sleeping.
- It cannot be avoided that there would be very hectic and stressful days in your life, for some its everyday! But hey that is life, so what do you do about it? Well, one way to counter the effects of the day on you would be to find things to do that will allow you to relax and unwind before going to bed. Here are a couple of those things:
Sleep environment checked.
- Sleep environment would include anything and everything that goes on in the area or place you sleep. This would be your cocoon through the night so do not neglect it and make sure it is a good one.
Check the time.
- Sleep is great, but do not over do it. know how much sleep you actually need and make it part of your daily schedule. These days people rely so much on technology to keep them updated of their schedule, so do not forget to include about sleep.
Sleep Hygiene additional tips
- Listen to music, there are a lot of music for sleep available online
- Turning on your oil diffuser and just soak it all in
- Take a warm bath
- Do not bring your work inside your bedroom
- Dim the lights
Sleep Hygiene 101
Sleep Hygiene is so important. People these days are busy running here and there. There seem to be always 101 things to do at a time. This being the case the more you cannot ignore the need for sleep and the proper sleep hygiene that will facilitate it. you would want to get as much quality snooze as you can because that will ensure that you will be ready for what lies ahead the next days to come.